SSAT IASG Traveling Fellowship
Guidelines and Requirements
Activities SSAT-IASG Fellowship Application - Download BACK
The Travelling Fellow is required to spend a two-week period visiting one or two SSAT Member institutions in the United States or Canada.
Fellow is expected:
- To attend the Digestive Disease Week meeting which will be held in 2019
- To make arrangements to select the Host Institution(s), IASG may provide assistance if required
- To observe surgery in the operating room under host supervision
- To accompany the host SSAT faculty member on patient rounds and in clinic activities
- To attend and participate in teaching conferences at the host institutions
- At the conclusion of the Travelling Fellowship, the Traveller MUST submit a written report to the SSAT which will include a description of the experience, observations, and highlights. The recipient will also provide a written report one year from the conclusion of the Fellowship on how the experience has effected his/her practice.
The itinerary and Host Institution(s) would be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of IASG and the SSAT International Relations Committee. The surgical centres to be visited would depend on the special interests of the Fellow and his or her previously established professional contacts with surgeons in the USA or Canada
- The successful recipients will receive a stipend of 5000 USD to support costs for travel, lodging, meals, and registration fees for Digestive Disease Week.
- Funds will be used to travel to Digestive Disease Week plus visit one or two Institutions, where the SSAT member host will provide necessary organizational information.
- Additional support for family members will not be provided.
Traveling Fellows must submit a complete itinerary to receive funds prior to travel. Following completion of the fellowship, the Traveling Fellow must provide a summary of expenses including original receipts.
IASG requirements for the fellowship:
- The candidate should be a member of the IASG not more than 45 years at the time of application.
- He or she must be active member of SSAT or have applied for SSAT membership before 15th Sept, 2018.
BECOME MEMBER OF SSAT BACK
(Any help required to become a member of SSAT, please contact any one of the following members: Dr VP Bhalla, email@example.com ; Dr Sitaram V, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Dr Peush Sahni, email@example.com ; Dr Ramesh Ardhanari, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Dr Pradeep R, email@example.com )
- He should possess super specialty qualifications in Surgical Gastroenterology or allied sciences. (candidates pursuing the course can also apply)
- The candidate should apply in prescribed format (downloadable application)
- Personal details
- Academic back ground
- Academic and non academic awards- with supporting documents
- List of publications in journals
- Copies of at least 3 best publications
- List of presentations made at academic meetings
- A 500 words essay answering
- Why the candidate considers himself/herself, a suitable candidate for the travelling fellowship?
- How the fellowship will be of value to his practice of Surgical Gastroenterology in his/her hospital?
- One page of completed application indicating:
- The type of surgery in which the Traveling Fellow is interested.
- Name(s) of the Host institution(s) planning to visit (or if she/he requires assistance in choosing institutions to visit).
An interview will be held during IASGCON 2018, Chandigarh. The exact time will be communicated later.
Selection Committee of IASG: President, President Elect, Secretary, Dr Bhalla (SSAT-IASG Liaison in-charge)
Selection Process by IASG:
- Objectively marks will be allocated to various achievements of the applicant
- After the interview, marks will be totaled and the applicants will be ranked in order of merit.
- Top three applicants will be declared selected in the first phase by IASG.
SSAT requirements for the fellowship:
(Three short listed candidates by IASG will be evaluated by SSAT during second phase and one candidate will be awarded fellowship)
- Should satisfy the requirement criteria of IASG (Mentioned above)
- Is enthusiastic and possesses good communication skills
- An abstract of submission for presentation at the DDW with the candidate as a principal author/co-author though not a must will immensely help the consideration of the candidate.
Short listed candidates by IASG should mention the following in covering letter to SSAT with one copy to IASG:
- Names of 2-3 centers and or mentors in the USA or Canada which he or she would like to visit
- An appropriate time when the candidate can be contacted for a telephonic interview for the 2019 fellowship
. The last date for submitting the application is 15th September, 2018
The application should be filled in word format and sent as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with CC to email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
The printed copy of application with a self attested photograph should reach the IASG Secretariat office before 5 PM on 15th September, 2018.
Dr Pradeep Rebala,
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology,
Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Somajiguda
Hyderabad 500082, Telangana, India
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
BACK SSAT-IASG Fellowship Application - Download